Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Child Rape in Sudan

This is the only time I have ever had any difficulty reflecting on or writing on an article that I have read. In fact, this is the first time I have referenced an article directly in my response… and my response is this… sadness followed closely by anger.
This article is an account of a Sudanese soldier forced to rape and kill children. About how this mans life was threatened if he would not comply with the governmental orders to rape. When he refused to take the actions forced upon him by the government he was tortured and would have been killed had he not escaped.
As I sit here in the library, I have tears in my eyes. The gentleman next to me keeps on casting demining looks my way, but, for once, I cannot control my emotions. I am saddened for the crisis that the women of Sudan, and around the world, must face every day, but, more than that, I am angry that we have done nothing to stop it. Every single one of us is responsible for the action being taken against the less fortunate of the world…
I am, for once, at a loss for words… I do not know what else to say… Please read this article, attempt to attain a higher level of understanding about the rights that we give little thought to, but others cannot even dream of

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/03/04/darfur.rape/index.html

No comments: