Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Suicide is not possible

by megan smith

Muhammad Ahmad Abdallah Salih is said to have "killed himself" recently at Guantanamo, Cuba. Quite honestly, this has got to be lies. There is no way I can believe a person would be able to kill them self under such tight supervision. I recently read a book titled "My Guantanamo Diary" which is a compilation of true accounts from a young lawyer who acted as a translator for the many other lawyers working of Gitmo detainee cases. She outlines several encounters, and one of the topics she talks about is suicide attempts. Within her experience, she has a client who attempts suicide 4 times, all of them unsuccessful due to the extreme measures taken at surveillance. So basically, I don't buy it that this man 'killed himself', in addition, I would suggest giving this book a read.

No comments: