Sunday, August 25, 2019

Ghana promises action after CNN child slavery report

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/02/africa/ghana-child-slaves-intl/

In this article, CNN states that around 20,000 children work as slaves in Lake Volta, Ghana. Poor parents in Ghana are desperate enough to sell their kids to human traffickers for as little as 250 dollars. Reading those two sentences shocked me because it never came across to me that one would sell their kid to human traffickers to make money or to sustain life. Turriff stated that humans have no price, which I strongly believe as well. I can't believe they would make their kid work all day and night just to support their own family, but against their own will or not given a choice to do so or not. They are poorly fed and these kids are enslaved by fishermen that poorly treat them. Turriff also says that many of the kids drown while fishing on the lake which saddens me. Ghana's minister, Kojo Oppong Nkurmah has promise actions of rescuing the kids, rehabilitating them, and reintegrating them in to society. He also wants the people who are responsible to pay for their actions. I strongly believe this would not occur if they were not is such bad poverty. I hope Ghana can do something to reverse that.

Nelle Scranton

No comments: