Sunday, April 3, 2022

Teaching Resources to Help Students Make Sense of the War in Ukraine

 This article was very interesting to read because I can relate to it personally. The article talks about how teenagers can keep up with current events and news on Ukraine through social media, specifically Tik Tok. A high school student from North Carolina, Winn Godier, was quoted in the article. She said "In no way have I ever been someone to obsess over current events or carve out any time in my day to watch the news, probably because of the anxiety it is bound to cause me. However, over the past two weeksI have paid more careful attention to current events and the impending 'World War III,' watching the news in interest, fear, anger, and sadness." I related to this quote a lot because I have never been the type of person to keep up with current events unless it was required for one of my classes but after the war in Ukraine started I found myself looking up updates and watching the news regularly. I never thought that I would live through a time like this, not only is a war going on but teenagers, like myself, can watch the war unfold on a social media platform. With that being said, the question this article proposes is how do teachers go about teaching students about what is going on in Ukraine and Russia? The article includes a link for educators to respond with their ways of teaching about the Russia-Ukraine war so that they can post the feedback to hopefully give some structure and guidance to those who are struggling with what to say to their students. I thought this was an amazing use of technology and a really great article overall. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/16/learning/lesson-plans/teaching-resources-to-help-students-make-sense-of-the-war-in-ukraine.html 

Abby Cox 

No comments: