Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Migrant crisis: Slovenia to put up 'temporary technical obstacles'

Slovenia is planning to put up temporary technical obstacles on border with Croatia in order to control the flow of migrants coming into the country. I agree with this move. I feel that this is the right move for a country like Slovenia to make. I like how Prime Minister Miro Cerar stated that the obstacles are for directing migrants toward the border crossing, not closing its borders. Most of these refugees and migrants are looking to go to Germany. The problem is that they must go through the Balkan nations, Slovenia, and Hungary in the process. I wonder what took Slovenia so long to finally come up with this. Hungary has already fenced off its borders. This has caused a redirection of migrants to Slovenia. It seems to me that Germany is truly the only one that wants to help these refugees. That being said, Germany does have more resources to help these migrants out than other countries like Slovenia. Slovenia has a population of two million people which is the smallest country on the Balkan migration route. I do realize that there is only so much a country like Slovenia can do with this refugee crisis. I was shocked to see the huge number of people that have entered Slovenia since October. The number of migrants was 170,000. That is a huge number of people for Slovenia to handle. This also includes another 30,000 migrants expected to enter Slovenia within the next couple of days. This is such a problem. I am not sure what the solution should be with this refugee crisis. I feel really sad for these refugees. They basically have no where to go. I also do agree with Prime Minister Miro Cerar that these temporary technical obstacles should help avoid a humanitarian disaster with the expected huge number of migrants to come into Slovenia in the near future. I see nothing wrong with Slovenia wanting to direct migrants towards the border crossing. I think it will be interesting to see how this plan is implemented and whether or not, it is actually successful. I do predict that this will help Slovenia deal with the number of migrants coming into the country. I wish there was a way to settle the instability in the Middle East. Till the instability is settled in the Middle East, this refugee crisis will continue to happen and effect all of Europe. The next couple of months will be interesting to see how this all plays out. 

Milto Deli

Link:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34779849

No comments: