Sunday, April 6, 2014

"U.S. Says It Tried to Build a Social Media Site in Cuba, but Failed"

Someone brought this up the other day during class and I wanted to learn more about it and thought this was interesting. The Obama administration said "it wasn't a covert program to overthrow the government." The fact that that had to be mentioned struck a weird chord with me. If that had to be addressed I don't think they should have started this up in the first place. They also said there wouldn't be any mention of the US involved but they're the ones who started it so that seemed odd to me. Some of the people involved stated that it was a dumb idea and I have to agree with them. I get that social media is huge and that's what most people's lives revolve around and get their news from but it was a stretch. It just goes to show how obsessed and immersed our world is in technology. Hillary Clinton pushed for this saying social media has helped in situations before and although she may be right, I think it was a stupid idea to turn to twitter for something this serious. It is kind of interesting though that even the government is using twitter.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/04/world/americas/us-says-it-tried-to-build-a-social-media-site-in-cuba-but-failed.html?ref=internationalrelations