Sunday, May 4, 2014

Naional Rallies For the Abuducted Girls in Nigeria

Rallies continue around the world for the girls who were kidnapped in Nigeria nearly three weeks ago. Nationally and internationally the Nigerian government has being feeling huge amounts of pressure to do more in their efforts of finding the missing girls. #Bringbackourgirls has swept across social media spreading word on the girls. Mary J. Blige and Malala Yousafzai have jumped right into supporting the #Bringbackourgirls campaign.

On Sunday, the President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan made a statement saying "Wherever these girls are, we'll get them out" and made note against the parents who are not fully cooperating with the police. Apparently, parents of the girls have not clearly given enough information on their girls. Even if the parents are not making good efforts on finding the girls, protesters in London are. They took the streets chanting "Bring them back home!", "Not for sale!", and "African lives matter!". Not only did rallies take place in London, but even Los Angeles. People are extremely upset about this and are demanding more from the Nigerian Government.

The girls were taken by Islamist Militant group Boko Haram. Boko Haram translates to 'Western Education is a sin". Under their version of the Sharia Law, they strongly oppose the education of women. Boko Haram stormed the school, overwhelming the guards at the all girl school and ordered the girls into trucks. There was an update from Nigerian officials stating that the number of girls taken raised to 276, but it was estimated that 53 had escaped, leaving 223 girls in captivity.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will find all 223girls. Its unfortunate to say, but I don't see a 100% recovery of all of them. Though I say that, I do have hope that they will all return to their home. I know that people are getting upset at the government, but I think that the parents need to be more involved. If the police have no leads, then they won't have much to go on to find the girls. Honestly, the fact that there is such a divide between western beliefs and middle eastern beliefs really disgusts me. People should learn to agree to disagree... don't punish children for ignorance. I understand that there are different ways of life around the world. Not everyone may agree with the way I live and I may not agree with the way you live, but I will never impose my ways of life on someone who doesn't agree with me. I'll just disagree with you; no war.

For more information of this story: http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/04/world/africa/nigeria-abducted-girls/index.html?hpt=wo_c1

-Elizabeth Brennan

No comments: