Tuesday, October 27, 2015

China says it warned and tracked U.S. warship in South China Sea

My first reaction to this article is that this situation can get very messy if not solved peacefully. China has stated that it warned and tracked a United States Navy ship that came close to one of its artificial island in the South China Sea. China is not messing around with United States navy ships being so close to their region. China sent out two Chinese warships along with naval warplanes to monitor and warn the American vessel. This seems like a risky move for China. I would not want to mess with the United States to much. China is not yet the more powerful country, and this could deter them from being. I understand to be the man, you have to beat the man, but I am not sure China is ready to face the man. I know I am bias here, but I am on the side of the United States. I do not believe the United States when they are saying the operation was routine and in line with international law. I think the whole we are just doing routine trips is a whole lie, but I think the United States should be able to have their vessels in this area. This is definitely going to deter China from continuing to grow into the regional hegemony so I understand their viewpoint too. I thought it was humorous when Chinese ministry of foreign affair basically said to the United States do not make us build up our capabilities. The United States is just not a country you want to threaten. I understand that you do not want to let someone else bully you, but be careful who you are picking on. Even Taiwan is rejecting China's claim over some of these artificial islands. I was also wondering if this might be a reaction from China having navy ships in September near United States territorial waters off Alaska. I think that played a role in this. The United States does not let things go, and they always are looking to get back at other countries. This whole situation gets even trickier, because artificial islands are not usually afforded the 12 mile territorial zone under international law. I believe this issue will continue to grow, and we will see many more examples of this throughout the world.

Milto Deli

Link:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/27/asia/us-china-south-china-sea/index.html

No comments: