Sunday, April 10, 2016

Japan to boost loans to Latin American nations for infrastructure development

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/04/10/national/japan-boost-loans-latin-american-nations-infrastructure-development/#.Vwr4cKQrKUk

So sometimes I like to check out the "Japan Times" website as I find it interesting to see what's going on in Japan. This time I came across this article that talks about, as the title suggests, Japan increasing loans to Latin America for infrastructure development. The article cites the growing influence internationally of China as one of the reasons for this happening, which I found believable as relations between China and Japan seem to remain murky. In reading the article I felt It would be fun to try to determine the intent of Japan in making these loan increases, weather they approach the situation as a Realist or as a Liberal. In my personal opinion, the Liberal ideology and the Realist ideology go hand in hand and logically can be used to strengthen the argument for either side. For a realist, this case of Japan would show that their doing this is based on Japan's national interest in strengthening relations before China has the opportunity to do so. Japan's motives here would be mainly driven by the interest in gaining more allies in the Americas as a buffer from China. In short, Japan is fostering good relations only because they gain from it personally. For me the Liberal side of the equation is more difficult to process. If this situation is looked at from a liberal perspective, the morality of the situation would encourage Japan to try to help other nations grow infrastructurally, possibly because Japan's infrastructure is phenomenal they feel it is only right for them to take action. I don't necessarily buy this and think the former Realist argument makes more sense, but I highly doubt that it is the sole answer. In my opinion countries primarily act selfishly, just as humans do. When a human is put in a situation of danger, instinctively they will react first in regards to their own well-being. Despite having some outliers, this is usually the case. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. For example If a plane were about to crash the best thing for you, granted you have this ability, might be trying to pilot the plane and land it. This benefits you but also benefits the others on the plane. I guess what I'm trying to say is that in this case scenario and in many scenarios between nations, both will do their best to benefit from whatever interaction and because of this the liberal idea seems very possible, but there is always a realist undertone. I'm not an expert though so, take this all lightly. I'll probably see this differently in a week. :P

-Jake W Kazmierczak

No comments: