Sunday, January 18, 2015

Cultures Clash in India

According to the Washington Post, at least three Muslims were killed in what I would label a witch hunt in Patna, India. The burning of tents in the Muslim community likely came as a response to the suspicion that Muslims were responsible for the death of a Hindu boy. Now I don't know the facts as to whether or whether not the suspicion is truly the reason for the latest violence, but what I do know is that it very well could have (the sources suspects it too). Arrests had been made in this instance; however, that doesn't bring back the lost lives - it never does. Revenge in the form of vigilante justice is a response that I can understand, but I fail to understand why lashing out against those with a similar background ever seems like a good idea. This only serves to create more tension in response to tension. I am left wondering how this will play out: will the conflict spark into more violence as a response or will this incident fizzle out? We'll just have to wait and see.

Washington Post Source

-Jon Stanciu

No comments: