Sunday, September 16, 2018

Thousands march to promote vote for Macedonia name deal

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/09/16/thousands-march-to-promote-vote-for-macedonia-name-deal.html

By: Teddy Trifunovski

While trying to find one of my current event articles, I felt it was really important to find a current event that I cam relate to. Which is why I chose this article on the country of Macedonia. My mother is from Macedonia and this is a language that I speak as well, and while we still have quite a bit of family that live there. During converstaions my mother has with her sister that lives there, this issue is  discussed a lot. There is an ongoing issue with the country being called Macedonia, Greece wants the name to be changed to "North Macedonia". Many citizens there do not want their country's name to be changed. However, the opposing view from many people in Macedonia including the prime minister, believe that they should change the name so then they can be involved and having the opportunity to join NATO. I really do not want the name to be changed because I just do not think it is right to do so. Also, I still do not believe they will be able to join NATO even if they agree to change the name. So I believe there is something more to this potential name change and to why this is being proposed. Something is going down behind closed doors with Greece and the prime minister. So we will wait and see after September 30th to see if Macedonia's name will be changed.

No comments: