Sunday, May 20, 2018

"Royal family website notes Meghan's 'proud feminist' credentials"


Timea Mozsi

The article I read for this week was about the royal wedding that occurred yesterday. Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, married American actress and humanitarian, Meghan Markle. I chose this article for several reasons, one being that it was personally brought to my attention, how big of a deal this engagement was. My fiancé and I were in London in November for less than 12 hours in which time a taxi driver told us how major the news was and how quickly it was spreading in the country. They said that this was a big step that was more than mention-worthy mainly because it deviated from being customary.
It was described in the article that the wedding had the modern twist that was much needed in the royal family. It seems as though many feel it was time to freshen up the customary norms and the couple managed to do so while keeping everything very elegant and tasteful. I love this idea, because I too feel that tradition is important. But welcoming positivity and all-inclusiveness and accepting modern perspectives shows that the world is still developing, as should all its people be. I always like the United Kingdom for their elegance and poised nature. But now I can say that I support them and respect them for welcoming a strong multi-racial American feminist into the royal family.


No comments: